Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Resting In Him

Come to Me just as you are. Let me enfold you in My compassionate embrace.  I know the depth and breadth of your weariness.  I see you from the inside out, as well as from the outside in.  Nothing about you escapes My attention--or my tender concern.  I offer you rest, My child, but in order to receive it you must stop for a time and simply wait with me.  When you are physically tired, your mind easily succumbs to anxious thoughts.  Then, although you body needs rest, the anxiety drives you harder than ever.  This is hurtful and counterproductive.

Discipline yourself to stop whatever you are doing, and take time to fix your thoughts on Me.  I provide rest not only for your mind and body but also for your soul.  However, your body and soul cannot rest until your mind settles down.  Take quiet, slow breaths while you focus your attention on Me.  It can be helpful to say a simple prayer such as:  "Jesus, fill me with Your Peace."  Since My Peace surpasses all understanding, your mind will eventually relax in My Presence.  You can unburden yourself by making your requests known to Me. This transfers your burdens to My strong shoulders.  Remember to bring Me your requests with thanksgiving, for I delight in responding to thankful prayers.  Moreover, your grateful attitude will bless you immeasurably--opening wide your heart to receive more and more of Me.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:28,29

"Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest who we confess."
Hebrews 3:1

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6,7

Jesus Lives, pg 266, 267 by Sarah Young

No comments:

Post a Comment